Time: 30 minutes
- 2 bags of fresh green beans (not frozen and ends trimmed off)
- 2 shallot bulbs, thinly sliced
- 2 packages of portobello mushrooms (cut in halves)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 4oz package feta cheese
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- salt & pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- First you are going to blanch the green beans. This process is great for a veggie like green beans or asparagus to prevent the veggies from becoming mushy. It keeps the veggies bright color and slight crunch. Take out a large pot and then place out a bowl filled with water and ice. You will boil water in the pot and throw in the green beans.
- Allow the beans to boil for about 3-5 minutes, then with tongs, take the beans out of the boiling water and place them in the ice bath. This stops the cooking process immediately so the veggies keep their color and crunch.
- Put the big pot in the sink and take out a large and deep sauce pan.
- Drizzle olive oil on the bottom and throw in the shallots. Shallots are just a sweeter version of an onion. Less punch!
- Saute the shallot for about 2 minutes and then add the garlic.
- Saute both for another 2 minutes and then add the mushrooms and walnuts. Sautee for 3 minutes.
- Add dried cranberries and toss.
- Now its time to put in the green beans. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Toss everything a couple times and plate in a large casserole dish.
- Now add the feta cheese before plating!