It got cold again today! [yea... thanks Captain Obvious] I went to work to finish off the week and the boyfriend went to play a golf tournament. Since I had a half day at work I thought it would be a nice surprise for Matt to come home to a hot comforty soup after being outside in this gloom all morning. I have made faux mashed potatoes many times and LOVED it so why not a hearty loaded soup, minus the crazy restaurant calories. This past week of getting bikini ready was intense. I have been really kicking it up a notch in the gym. I have been doing boot camp, strength training, runing and yoga. I am just yearning for my yoga class on Sunday, I need to stretch! And to breathe. And to recharge. I love it though, I love getting crazy at the gym and then having that sore, "can't sit down or move" feeling. I feel like it's so motivating to feel that feeling cus you are constantly reminded to make healthy food choices. -leg cramp-"PUT DOWN THAT COOKIE!" *single tear* ......Don't forget to follow me on twitter and Instagram @tinytaster407 and Facebook http://Facebook.com/tinytaster......
Time: 1.5 hour
- 1 organic head of cauliflower, chopped into large florets
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2.5 cups water
- 2.5 cups broth (I used Better than Bouillon and pre-made it in a separate small sauce pan)
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 tbsp butter (I used Brummel and Brown made with yogurt)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 slices turkey bacon, uncooked chopped
- 1/4 cup less fat shredded cheddar
- Salt & Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- For topping: shredded cheddar, sliced green onions, cooked crispy and chopped turkey bacon and plain greek yogurt.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a cookie sheet, add potatoes, some olive oil, salt and pepper and toss. Place potatoes in the oven for about 25 minutes, take out and set aside.
- In medium sauce pan bring 2.5 cups water and 1.5 of the broth to a boil and add cauliflower. Boil for about 10 minutes until tender.
- In a small frying pan, add butter and set to medium heat. Add garlic and allow to saute for a few minutes (about 5), be careful not to burn the garlic!
- In a blender add the cauliflower, milk, parmesan, garlic, salt and pepper and 1 cup of broth from the pot you just cooked the cauli in. Blend until creamy smooth! Set aside.
- In a large soup pot drizzle in some olive oil and add your onion (medium/high heat). Saute onions until they are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add 1 cup broth, cauliflower, potatoes, salt and pepper and uncooked bacon.
- Allow to come to a very slow boil and then set the heat to low. Now you may add the 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese! If you have any leftover broth, add it now.
- Allow the soup to low simmer for about 45mins-1 hour. I did it for 45 minutes and I loved the chunks of potatoes, but if you like a more pureed soup then allow for the extra time. You can also puree the potatoes when they come out of the oven if you'd like!
- Top your soup with some cheese, green onions, chopped crispy turkey bacon and if you'd like, a little greek yogurt.
Stay tuned for some more skinny minny recipes!
Don't forget to follow me on twitter and Instagram @tinytaster407 and Facebook http://Facebook.com/tinytaster !!